Top 10 Questions to ask your installer
A generator installer is on the way to my house to make a generator assessment, what do I need to ask them?
Here are the top 10 questions you can ask a generator installer when they arrive at your home.
- Do I need a standby generator or a portable generator for my backup power needs at home?
- How did you calculate the size of the generator needed for my house?
- a. How did you take into account the starting current requirement of any air-conditioning or pump motor load in the house?
- b. In case there are multiple air-conditioning or other such heavy motor loads in the house, how does a staggered start scheme impact the size of the generator?
- Which fuel type is most suitable for my generator and why?
- What is the expected annual fuel consumption of the generator, if it were to be exercised weekly and if the generator had to power the home for another 50 hours in the year at 70% of its rated capacity?
- What is the expected useful lifetime (in run hours) of my generator, if it were to be exercised weekly and if the generator had to power the home for another 50 hours in a year at 70% of its rated capacity?
- a. What factors impact the expected useful lifetime of my generator?
- Could you walk me through the permitting and installation process for the generator?
- Could you explain any maintenance activities that I need to perform on a periodic basis? Who does maintenance? How often and how much does it cost?
- What maintenance activities do I have to contract a certified technician to carry out for my generator on a periodic basis?
- a. How much is the maintenance expected to cost in a year?
- Could you explain what the warranty for my generator covers?
- a. How do I redeem my warranty if something goes wrong with the generator?
- Could you list any certifications or memberships that you may have? Are you certified by the Electric System Generator Association?
- a. Could you also list any insurance or bonding that you carry?
These questions are a great start to ensuring a smooth process when purchasing, installing, and maintaining your generator. Find the answers to these questions and more at alltimepower.com.
Use our Power Calculator to find out your energy needs.Get Started